Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: A real ? for yall....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    A real ? for yall....

    Okay I am going to be going to college in the fall and have no idea what I want to do. I was interested in the criminal justice thing but kept looking into it and lost it lol.....but I respect all of yall on here and know a lot of you know what youre talking about, so I was just wondering if you could help me...All I know is that I want a really good paying job lol just like the rest of us...so do yall have any ideas on anything? Like degrees and classes that would give me a lot of options when getting a good job?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A real ? for yall....

    Anything that has to do with computers, if you like that sort of thing. Or, go for a business degree, that could open up a broad array of opportunities for you.

    If you are looking for good paying jobs, don't be a teacher, lol. My wife would attest to that. Although she complains a lot Sept-May, she absolutely loves it June thru August.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A real ? for yall....

    haha Im on here all the time so I like em a lot...and yeah business seems like the best degree to get...I mean even during the NCAA games when they are talking about the players they always mostly say majoring in business

    I have actually thought about teaching, history would be what id want to teach...but the teachers ive talked to say the same thing your wife does, pay isnt good at all....I personally have tons of respect for teachers, they arent paid half as much as they should be

  4. #4
    Inactive Member TheSkulls's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2007
    Posts
    270
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A real ? for yall....

    I have a major respect for teachers, I know I don't have the patience to do it...... I would be in jail for beating a smart ass teenager.

    I would say that you should go with a business degree or engineering. It all depends on if you want to stay around here or not.
    [img]http://www.mitchkuzma.com/images/Volquest/EricBerry/EricBerryHeisman300W.jpg[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A real ? for yall....

    I would have to chime in and say that you need to be aware of "who you are" when planning on choosing a degree field. I have lots of friends who chose their profession based on how much money they could make. A few of them make really good money, but they are burnt out and not even 40. Some got through college, graduated, and then got a swift dose of reality when they got out into the real world. I am fortunate, because I chose my profession when I was 17 and I never really strayed from what I wanted to do. The only other real job I had was to help me grow up and gain the maturity I needed to be an effective teacher. I truly love what I do and I honestly don't fuss too much about the money. If you love your job and you're successful, money won't really mean that much. Take your time and don't rush into something. I promise you that you will be a changed person in four or five years and what you want now will probably be different then.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A real ? for yall....

    Start off the first 1-2 years in general studies, and take some electives that pique your interest.

    If you're unsure right now don't bother trying to come up with a major before you've spent a year or two on campus. With time you'll figure out what interests you the most.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A real ? for yall....

    Nasa is hiring
    GO VOLS

  8. #8
    Inactive Member smarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2003
    Posts
    1,264
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A real ? for yall....

    are you gonna be attending UVA-Wise or another college?

    I got my BA in History from UVA-Wise and minored in Business Admin. (for no reason really other than just to have something) You won't even have to declare a major until your 2nd year so I wouldn't worry about narrowing your exact major down right now. Take your gen. eds and you may find a field you like even better.. I was one of the few exceptions I went in majoring in History and got my degree in History but most kids change their majors at least 2 times or more. My suggestion is whatever you get a Bachelors in go on and get your masters and/or PhD that way you'll make even more money. Once our baby is born I'm going to attend LMU and get my masters in Edu. Admin. and Supervision so I can be a vice-principal/principal... for money reasons b/c teachers make around 35,000 and VP/P make closer to 50-80K which good for this area.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A real ? for yall....

    I was planning going to MECC then transferring to UVAW...and I know i dont have to declare one right now, just needed some ideas and help cause this is some scary stuff lol

  10. #10
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A real ? for yall....

    Just get the gen ed that will transfer, and also scan the course schedule to see if anything just looks interesting to you, for electives. Try some new things.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •